One organ donor can save up to seven lives!July 29, 2022
To coincide with #DonateLifeWeek (24th-31st July) here are some stats to support and raise awareness about how important organ donation is, a topic close to our hearts!
- Since the national organ donation program first began, more than 15,500 Australians have received a life-saving organ transplant.
- This year DonateLife is encouraging 100,000+ Australians to register as organ and tissue donors.
- As of June 2022, there are currently 1,750 Aussies waiting for a life-saving organ transplant!
- Three in four (76%) Australian’s want to be organ and tissue donors. However only one in three (36%) have registered, meaning 13 million eligible (16+) Australians haven’t signed up yet.
“This is a very important cause that means a lot to me, and something that isn’t spoken about enough! If you are thinking of becoming an organ donor, please do it as it can be life-changing for someone else!” – Thomas, Account Executive at Painted Dog Research
If you have ever thought of becoming an organ donor, this week is a great opportunity to register! It only takes ONE minute to save up to SEVEN lives! If interested register here: https://www.donatelife.gov.au/register-donor-today
One important point about the whole processes is that it always come down to the family’s consent, despite if you’ve registered!
- 9/10 families gave consent to donation when their loved one was registered to be a donor.
- But only 4/10 families gave consent when they didn’t know their loved one wanted to be a donor.
It’s important to facilitate and foster that discussion. Being open about the topic and letting your loved ones know your wishes can be the deciding factor with consent.
- Only 2% of people who pass away in Australian hospitals can be considered for organ donation.
- In 2021, only 1,250 people had the potential to be an organ donor.
- 56% of families consented to donations when asked in 2021. Unfortunately meaning there was more recipients than there was donors.
Painted Dog Research aims to support social and health initiatives where we can, and we think the data supports just how important organ donation can be in saving lives now and in the future.
#DonateLifeWeek #OrganDonation #TissueDonation #GreatRegistrationRace